Stock Image: Matte Gray/Matte Black
Does It All. Amazingly Well.
The revised 2013 Yamaha FZ8 features both compression and rebound damping adjustability on the new front fork, while the new shock now features both preload and compression damping adjustability, as well as a stiffer spring. In addition, new fuel-injection settings provide a sportier engine feeling, quicker revving power character, and more direct and linear feeling from the throttle to the rear wheel.
• The 779cc engine combines top end components, including ceramic-composite-coated cylinders and forged aluminum pistons, with a carefully optimized crankshaft to deliver the perfect power curve and torquey performance character for this category.
• The FZ8 fills the gap for sport riders who feel a 600cc is too small and a 1000cc is too big.
• Muscular, naked bike styling gives an aggressive, mass-forward stance. This bike screams attitude.
• Comfortable, upright riding position with a compact design that contributes to the bike’s first-rate handling. This bike simply excels, both in the morning commute and on that spirited weekend ride on a twisty back country road.
• Cast aluminum frame and Controlled-Fill aluminum die-cast swingarm is lightweight and provides the ideal rigidity balance for outstanding cornering performance.
New for 2013:
• New muffler shape adds to the visual appeal making for a more attractive design.
• Rebound damping adjustability added to shock allows riders to adjust the machine depending on rider and passenger needs.
• Rebound and compression damping adjustability added to forks allowing adjustability for sport touring or urban assault.
• Dual-textured seat material is used enhancing the visual appeal of the seat style.
• 779cc liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, inline 4-cylinder, 4-valve engine delivers smooth power delivery and gobs of torque in the low to mid rpm range. But this engine also lets loose with eye-opening horsepower when the revs climb toward redline.
• Fuel-injection with 35mm diameter throttle bodies has optimum intake efficiency and smooth throttle response. Provides precise fuel/air mixtures for awesome power delivery across the rpm range.
• Compact, pent-roof combustion chamber with a high 12.0:1 compression ratio with 26mm intake valves and 22mm exhaust valves contributes both to the superb torque and high-rpm power of this engine.
• Intake funnels for cylinders 2 and 3 are 25mm longer than the two outside cylinders. This tuning trick helps maximize the engine’s punchy torque delivery.
• The FZ8 inherits proven R1/FZ1 technologies, including forged aluminum pistons, fracture split carburized connecting rods, and ceramic-composite-plated cylinders.
• The 68.0mm bore and 53.6mm stroke specifications were carefully chosen to maximize the strong torque characteristics, as was the crankshaft with optimized inertial mass.
• Close-ratio 6-speed transmission has ideal ratios for the engine’s performance character.
• 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system looks great and includes a catalytic converter and O2 sensor. Newly designed muffler is mounted low for great looks and excellent mass centralization.
• Cast aluminum frame uses the engine as a stressed member and allows for optimal rigidity balance, light weight, and superb handling. Six engine-mounting points help provide superb longitudinal rigidity.
• Controlled-Fill aluminum die-cast swingarm saves weight and is tuned for excellent handling.
• 43mm inverted fork and a link-type Monocross shock with adjustable preload, rebound/compression damping for light and neutral handling characteristics.
• The rear shock has preload and rebound damping adjustment allowing riders to adjust to their preference.
• 310mm front discs, squeezed by monoblock four-piston calipers, and a single 267mm rear disc offer strong stopping power.
• Aggressive chassis geometry with supersport-inspired 51 percent front wheel weight bias. Provides light, nimble handling.
• The generous 4.5 gallon fuel tank, is short front to back, and slender where it meets the rider. The foot pegs and handlebars are also placed for a compact, rider-forward riding position that contributes to the bike’s excellent handling.
• 5-spoke cast aluminum wheels contribute to the light and neutral handling character. This bike sports a 120/70 ZR17 radial tire up front, and a 180/55-ZR17 rear radial to complete the look and serve up the traction.
• “Mass-forward” naked bike styling is accentuated by the headlight design.
• FZ1-style instrument cluster features a great looking tachometer with a white face.